AT THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN AND IN THE MORNING WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
These words from Laurence Binyon's 1914 poem For the Fallen adorn war memorials throughout the Commonwealth and they are carved as the gilded epitaph on the wall of the University of New Brunswick's Memorial Student Centre in the province's capital city of Fredericton. Although the poetry has lost none of its meaning, paradoxically, the mid-twentieth century campus building seems to have been forgotten. There is a strong appreciation for traditional architecture in New Brunswick and anything outside the realm of historical convention has become suspect; significant post-War buildings are met with disdain, ignorance and in many cases, demolition. However, a number of noteworthy structures were designed in Fredericton during the 1950s and 1960s and they observe a purity of form and quality of material that is remarkable for the time and place. Their inherent modernist principles evoke the human spirit and notions of idealism through a visionary architectural framework that is both clear and austere. Perhaps it is these very qualities that are largely responsible for the structures' lack of recognition in a municipality rich in vernacular charm and Victorian ornament.